Azure DevOps is the new name for the formerly named Visual Studio Team Services. That was kind of surprising but on a second glance expected. Since we have already Azure DevOps Projects in the Azure portal, which was already sitting there since month with that name.
But what does change with that? One would think, that mainly the UI only changed. But there is much more!
- the url pattern changes from
- https://myorganization.visualstudio.com to
- You have now the possibility to have public and private projects in one organization
- with that unlimited basic users for open source projects
- 1800 free minutes (instead of 240) build agent time per month for private projects
- 10 Microsoft hosted or self hosted agents working in parallel for public projects without limit (self hosted of course need your own VM which can produce extra costs!)
- you can more easily switch between organizations that you are a member of
- that will be part of a bigger change for having multiple organizations under the same AAD which also can share the licenses
- pipelines are now YAML first (at least for build) and the UI based pipelines step back
- deeper integration with GitHub
And there are even more. Some of these changes are not mention in the blog post below, but can be indirectly inferred if you reed the roadmap timeline and understand the concept behind that.